Blogging about my crocheting, scrapbooking or any other thing that comes to mind.

Monday, August 12, 2013

A new ministry...

I've had it on my heart for a while now about a Crocheting/Knitting Ministry at our church. I just learned how to crochet in December 2012 and love doing it. I love to make things and give them away. To me, a "homemade" gift is the best. That person took time out of their day to create something for you. Sure, it would have been faster to go and a buy something, but it doesn't have that special meaning. Anyhow....

Our church has gone through major changes since the beginning of this year. We had a change of Children's Director, a new Praise/Worship Band, a new Youth/Student Director and our Pastor of 18 years had be reassigned. I thought that it definitely wasn't the time to try and start a new ministry. But now that the dust has settled, it's been on the forefront of my mind. Yesterday's sermon by our Associate Pastor really spoke to me. We wrapped a sermon series called The Irresistible Church based on the book Irresistible Church, The: 12 Traits of a Church Heaven Applauds by Wayne Cordeiro. The trait we discussed yesterday was, The Irresistible Church chooses to Love and how we are to love our neighbor as thyself. Then Mark pondered on how if each of use chose to invest our time or talent or love in one person. Each of us touches people's lives and don't even know it, whether it be a negative or positive way. A smile can be what that one person needs to know they are loved.

I want to take it a step further and use the talent that I believe God has blessed me with and start a Crochet/Knit Ministry at our church. The direction of the ministry would be to make lapghans, baby blankets, washcloths, hats, scarves, etc and provide those to the homeless shelters, the nursing homes, pregnancy center, etc. I have talked with a few ladies that want this ministry. I believe it would be a viable ministry to the community and our church. And for those that want to help but don't have the time, they could donate yarn!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, I think is a wonderful idea. May God richly bless your ministry and you heed His calling. Penny Medlock